The girls came over for dinner on Saturday night. Well, I say dinner but it was a glorified picnic that consisted of tartiflette nests and salad. To make it feel a little more special I decided to put the watermelon sitting in my fridge to good use and bust out a watermelon lemonade – it seemed the perfect thing for a sunny Saturday evening in the garden and a great excuse to get my flamingo straws out!
- A blender
- Half a watermelon – mine was about 400g of fruit when halved and cut up.
- 1ltr of ice cold water.
- The juice of 6 lemons.
- 75-100g of sugar.
- Mint leaves.
- Ice and watermelon slices to serve.
- Juice your lemons and pop in the blender. Throw the watermelon in with it and blend until it’s all blitzed. I’ve got a Kitchen Aid blender and used the cocktail shaker setting! If you had a seeded watermelon (like I did) it might be worth sieving it to get rid of them.
- In a large jug mix together the cold water and the sugar (I used 75g as I like the tang of the lemons, but you could use more to make it sweeter!).
- Mix in the lemon and watermelon juice.
- Add a handful of mint leaves and stir them in.
- Find some cute glasses, fun straws (mine are from Sainsbury’s – if you hurry you might be able to get some from their sale!) and add ice and a slice of watermelon just as you’re about to serve.
One of the ladies that came over is prego so I went for a virgin version straight out of the mixer, but the rest of us might have been a little cheeky and added a glug or two of vodka to the mix – I am sure rum would work too!
What’s your favourite summer tipple?
*UPDATE: It doesn’t keep too long in the fridge so it’s best drunk on the day!*
P.s I’ve been nominated in the Amara Awards DIY and Craft category – which is a huge honour.
To vote for me you can pop over to their site http://www.interiorblogawards.com/vote/oh-gosh/ or click the image!