And as kids my brother and I used to fight for the ‘top of the milk’. I always won because I’ve always been a morning person, and as much as he liked the cream, 6am was just not a time he wanted to see. Sometimes if I was feeling sneaky though I used to peel the milk bottle cap off, top up the milk and replace it making him think he’d won.
- 160g brown sugar
- 75ml water
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 340g rolled oats
- 100g chopped nuts/raisins
What you need to do:
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-proof bowl, combine brown sugar and water. Microwave 4 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved. Add salt and vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, nuts (I used almonds) and raisins, and syrup until thoroughly mixed. Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake 45 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
- Let cool completely then break into clumps and store in an airtight container.
I like to have mine with a bit of yoghurt. Or a splash of milk, we have a great dairy in Sheffield and the milk, even the semi skimmed is so creamy it’s perfect for cereals.