I’ve been trying to stick to our diet whilst Jim has been away but it is tough when there is no-one to guilt you into staying healthy. I have no will power. It’s official. I crave sweet things and my advent calendar chocolate is not getting me through these cravings.
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup (instead of sugar or honey as we’re not eating either)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate to cover – I used about 50grams of chocolate we had left in the cupboard to add something a bit extra for the guys at work who aren’t on this plan but if you are really dieting they taste great without the chocolate too.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites and the agave syrup until they are quite frothy.
- Quickly add in the vanilla, don’t mix too much.
- Stir in the coconut and mix with a spoon until it’s all coated.
- Place mound shaped spoons of the mixture on to the baking sheet. They don’t spread so you can place them quite close together. I used my tablespoon measurement to get the little domes although they were a little hard to get out sometimes, but you could just roll them into balls with your hand I guess.
- Bake for about 15 until they are starting to go golden.
- Once cooked, put the baking sheet on a cake rack and allow to cool slightly.
- If you are covering them in chocolate, whilst the macaroons are baking, melt the chocolate. We don’t have a microwave so I bain marie it, but if you are using a microwave, make sure you don’t burn the chocolate.
- When the chocolate is melted, using a fork, drizzle chocolate over the coconut macaroons and leave until set.
- Try not to eat 5 in one go as that probably isn’t diet friendly!
This makes about 24 of the little spoon measures which are just the right size for a sweet fix.