I’ve been seeing so many posts about people freaking out about having to socially self isolate, and I’m sure people have lots of valid reasons to be scared, but for a lot of us on here with cancer, isolating ourselves from society isn’t a new thing.
So, if you find yourself having to socially isolate, here are a few things, that won’t break the bank, and that got me through a lot of months during chemo;
– Read. Read widely and indiscriminately. Read things that challenge you, read trash, read about history and deep space and wild love affairs and real lives.
– Binge watch something. May I, if you’ve not already seen them, suggest iZombie, Schitts Creek, Community, Santa Clarita Diet…..
– Clear out your wardrobes. And drawers. And shoes. Make charity shop or clothes swap piles for when you’re able to mingle with society again.
– Take yourself out into the wild and walk. Find somewhere open, where you’re unlikely to meet many people, because self isolating doesn’t mean you can’t leave your house!
– Organise your holiday photos. Don’t tell me you’ve not had this on a mentalto do list for ever.
– Take an online course. Loads of people offer free short courses, and I’m seeing a bunch of people moving conferences online and offering them free.
– Start tidying up your garden. It’s the right time and to be doing it and it gets you outside too.
– Shop the house for things you can move about to redecorate with.
– Work your way through your crafting supplies. I don’t believe you don’t have them. (Maybe some self isolating will be the thing that gets me silversmithing again rather than running about doing everything but creating?)
– And stay in touch with people. Text. Video chat. Call. Email. I think it’ll be easier if lots of people are having to self isolate because hopefully we’ll be aware that people are on their own.
I won’t lie, chemo was a very lonely time (outside a few friends), but if more people are experiencing this sort of world, I’m hoping everyone will help each other out with regards to staying in touch a bit more.