you think I learnt nothing from my time at Blogtacular, but, I haven’t
read any of the posts from the weekend. Not one. I do have them saved up
for reading after I’ve written this post, but I haven’t read them yet. And I haven’t read them because I didn’t want to be taking on other peoples thoughts or experiences of the weekend and putting them onto mine.
And I really enjoyed my time at Blogtacular itself, but I’m not sure it was the blog revelation I had it in my head to be. I thought that I’d come away with my brain so full of ideas that I’d be blogging every day of the week, that I’d be on fire. That I’d suddenly becaome a super blogger. But the reality was very different. I felt a bit deflated (I think that shows in sporadic posting doesn’t it ). I felt overwhelmed. And I felt a bit of a failure for not being instafamous.
But I thought it might be useful to put down the things that I took away from the day – just to remind myself about the great things I learnt and experienced after feeling a bit, well, unsure!
I’d already chosen the sessions I was interested in, and whilst I had a few wobbles on the day – i stuck to my guns on them, but I wonder if I ought to have been swayed into other sessions?
- I met some really lovely people
- The keynote speeches were really inspirational
- The genius bar was a great resource. I got to say thank you to Elaine for her help with my coding issues with Disqus, and had an appraisal of my Pinterest account which was super helpful.
- Hearing people’s stories of success.
- Meeting Enid from Pinterest – she was so lovely about me being one of the original 300 blog pinners
- I didn’t network enough. Sure I spoke to some people and I branched out on my own to go to talks, but I didn’t ‘work the room’ like maybe I should have.
- I didn’t give out many of my blog cards
- I’d do some more of the creative making events
- I’d pick sessions that would challenge me
Have you been to a blog conference? What did you think about it? Did you learn lots or did you make some of the same mistakes as me?